Social Psychology - S320
Living Lab - Nonconformity
To further stimulate personal exploration and understanding related to
issue of conformity.
What You Will Do:
First and foremost, don't tell anyone what you are doing! Doing
would create a bias in the experiment, which will undermine the intent
this unique endeavor!
On your "Day of Non-Conformity" you will attempt to live
out an entire day in which none of your actions are dictated or decided
the social norms expressed by your cultural environment. Your
should not be influenced by your desire to be accepted in a group, to
perceived in a certain way, or to be liked. The essence of this
is to discover and act upon your true self, not the self you try to be
of course that is your true self).
Be sure to evaluate every activity you participate in. Ask why
do the things you do, the way you do. Are your actions a
of conformity? If so, try to discover your own authentic belief.
dismiss why you are watching a certain show or sitting at a certain
Analyze everything. Move beyond simply avoiding the obvious
things you do and go for deep authenticity. At the same time, be
that you don't go to far and actually conform to nonconformity.
goal is to be authentic, not necessarily different.
What You Will Turn In:
A 2-page, APA formatted reaction paper.
Possible questions to address:
- APA formatted
- 1 inch margins
- Cover page (No Name)
- When preparing for the Living Lab, how did you mentally define
- How did this definition affect how you acted during the duration
the Living Lab?
- What were the psychological and/or psychosocial pros and cons of
- How did others respond to your actions?
- What attributions did people make to explain your behavior?
- Was your behavior different from normal?
- What activities did you need to adjust and which stayed the same?
- Describe ways in which your own level of conformity was revealed
- What are the psychological and/or psychosocial factors that cause
- What are the differences between the "normal" you and the "Living
- Which "you" did you like better? Why?